P1: Can a patent search be conducted?
P2: Can a patent application be filed without its complete documents?
- Yes, it can be filed based on copies of the relevant documents and the original documents (and the Arabic translation) can be submitted within 90 days.
P3: Can convention priority be claimed? (Paris Convention)
- Yes, Bahrain is a member of the Paris Convention since October 29, 1996.
P4: Can a registration be obtained for pharmaceutical products?
P5: What is the term of protection of a patent and from which date is it calculated? Can it be extended?
- 20 years from the date of filing in Bahrain, or from the priority date in case of claiming priority.
P6: Is a secret form of filing a model/design permitted?
P7: Is there a novelty requirement? Is it local or worldwide?
- Yes, worldwide.
P8: Is the patent protection available for software alone, or must the software be coupled with computer hardware in order to permit patent application?
Law is silent on this issue.
P9: Can the specifications or claims be amended?
- The specifications or claims can be amended only if the Bahraini registration is not issued. If it is already issued a new patent application must be filed.
P10: Could annuity payments be made before the granting of the patent?
- Annuities are applicable after grant of patent.
P11: In what language should specifications and claims of the patent be filed?
- The specification and claims can be filed in any language provided that it is accompanied by an English translation (if it is not in English) and an Arabic translation.
P12: Is working of the invention required to keep protection in force?
P13: What are the conditions that might lead to a compulsory license?
- Yes, compulsory license may be granted subject to national emergency or failure to exploit the invention by the owner etc. (as per Article 24 of the Patents Law)
P14: Must assignments be recorded within a certain period?
P15: Does the Patent Law provide for licenses or registered users?
P16: Does the Patents Office publish the patent applications in the Official Gazette?