A utility model application can run in parallel with a patent application in Germany.
The maximum protection period of the utility model is 10 years from the date of filing, depending on the payment of maintenance fees after 3 years, 6 years and 8 years.
- Three copies of the specification and claims in the German language. The necessary translation can be prepared upon request.
- Three sets of the drawings, if any.
- A statement of inventorship.
- An abstract of the invention not exceeding 150 words.
- In case of priority claim:
a) Priority date and country.
b) Serial number/s and an uncertified copy of the priority applications.
Renewal is to be requested within a year prior to the registration’s expiry date. A further grace period of 6 months may also be granted.
Failure to renew the trademark before expiration, or within the said grace period, registration will be canceled. However, if the lack of payment is due to acceptable circumstances, then restoration shall be possible, if the renewal is filed within 2 months following the cessation of the circumstances. In this case, a restoration fees has to be paid in addition to the renewal fee.